School & Travel

April 09, 2015

In no time at all, I'll be in my final year of Mass Comm. The past couple of years have been extremely taxing but rewarding; I've learnt so much and I can honestly say that I can't see myself else where. However, I can't help but feel conflicted as I count down to the days left till my senior year. On one hand, I've been blessed enough to be given the three electives I chose - Advance Advertising, Social Media Strategies and Creative Writing - and I'm thrilled to be able to work on modules that I absolutely adore again but on the other, I don't know what to do after graduation.

Being a student has been my identity for the past 15 years and I'm not ready to give this up yet. Student discounts and school holidays aside, I don't know if I'm mentally prepared for this. I can't help but feel that I'm neither here nor there. I don't feel ready to enter the working force but I don't know if I'll ever be ready.

I've been spending the past few days thinking about the near future. What I want to do at intern, what I want as a full time job, what do I want to do after graduation, where do I want to be? So many questions, so little time. It feels like I'm charging headfirst into the future without considering too much about the options I have, which terrifies me. Is it just me or does every graduating student feel this way?

One thing I know for sure is that I love travelling and I want to go travelling after ending school. I don't think I can afford to take a month or two off because that will cost waaaay too much but I'm hoping to at least have a week to travel during the period after my internship and before my graduation in 2016. It's my dream to visit the world someday.

I already have a country in mind that I've always wanted to visit but I've never been able to find the right companion because the price to travel to that place is exorbitant and it is generally an obscured and unpopular tourist destination. But all the better right? I've never been an avid follower of the conventional path anyway. 

Because I haven't met a right travel companion so far, this impending trip will potentially be my first solo travel. Although I'm quite apprehensive, I know I will overcome the panicky feelings in no time and the eyeopening trip is going to be so worth it. I definitely can't wait to step foot onto the ground I've only been able to read up on so far! I just know that it's gonna be so wonderfully surreal and amazing.

Well, to justify for such a costly travel, I'm going to work doubly hard this coming semester so I won't feel guilty about spending my savings or taking time off. Jiayou! :)

You Might Also Like

2 comments