Johor Bahru Bak Kut Teh, Cafes and City Square Arcade (2017)

March 25, 2018

"I wanna go overseas," I whined sometime in May last year. My friends, being the genies they are, whisked me off to Johor Bahru. Again. Naturally, we settled our lunch in Johor Bahru due to the favourable exchange rate. The first order of business was a hot pot of Malaysia's herbal bak kut teh.



Despite all the years I spent in Singapore, I never got used to Singapore's peppery bak kut teh.

Soon Soon Heng Bak Kut Teh 

Address: 43, Jalan Serigala, Taman Abad, 80250 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
Opening hours: 9am to 9pm daily


Bought an ice cream to quench my thirst in the hot day while we were on our way to begin our cafehopping.


Churros with chocolate ganache dip

The Replacement - Lodge & Kitchen 

Address: 33, Jalan Dhoby, Bandar Johor Bahru, 80000 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday 10am to 10:30pm | Friday, Satursday, Sunday: 9am to 12am


Enroute to City Square, we stopped by Big Bites Cafe, which I frequent because of its convenient location, for an oreo popsicle.

Big Bites Cafe

Address: 18, Jalan Ibrahim, Johor Bahru, 80000 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
Opening Hours: 9am to 7pm daily


People are weird. I actually never really drank Gong Cha when it was in Singapore, until it left. I guess humans just crave for what we can't have. Anyway, my usual order is a large cup of milk tea, sugar level 50%, less ice, add pudding.

Gong Cha (City Square)

Address: Johor Bahru City Square, 108, Jalan Wong Ah Fook, Bandar Johor Bahru, 80000 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
Opening Hours: 10am to 10pm daily


My favourite cheesecake at only RM11 (~SGD $3.50). Buy buy buy!

Mika (City Square)

Address: Lot No MF – 01 & 02, Level 3, Johor Bahru City Square, 106-108, Jalan Wong Ah Fook, 80000 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia.

Opening Hours: 10am to 10pm daily


We stopped by the arcade at City Square to kill time. Joanna and I were super proud of our score.

Johor Bahru street food and neoprints. Nothing beats Malaysian food.


Returning home after filling our stomach with cheap but yummy food. We left Johor Bahru at about 8:30pm and the bus was clear! All four of us got a seat. Amazing, considering how the bus is always packed like sardines.

You Might Also Like

1 comments