Arashiyama Bamboo Groves and Nonomiya-jinja Shrine | Japan Solo Travel 2017

March 31, 2017


Decided to get out of Kyoto and just go to one sightseeing tourist spot, Arashiyama Bamboo Groves, because I enjoyed the slow day, which felt right for a quiet city like Kyoto. You can get to Arashiyama by bus 28 (get off at Arashiyama-Tenryuji-mae about 30 minutes later)


Alternatively, from Kyoto Station, San-in Line you can take JR Sagano to Saga-Arashiyama Station, where Arashiyama Bamboo Groves is located.


Most trains in Japan have rapid or local trains, with the rapid trains skipping a few stations and Kyoto's no exception. It's always a good idea to take a photo of the stations the rapid and local trains go to so you have an idea of where you are, especially if you're not familar with Japanese. In this case, both trains go to Saga-Arashiyama Station.


Somehow, I missed my station and ended up in Chiyokawa, adding on to my list of unlucky things that happened on my travels. However, I managed to cach some magnificent sights of Kyoto's quiet countryside, an aura of stillness and calmness very much oppsite of what I'm accustomed to in Singapore's everyday life.

Walking to Arashiyama Bamboo Groves from Saga-Arashiyama Station


Trying to look at the bright side of everything; people mostly stayed indoors or took less photos in the rain so I had all the time in the world to slowly figure a good angle and not get photobombed by tourists.





The walk to Arashiyama Bamboo Groves took about 20 minutes, and I stopped along a roadside store of a piping hot Taiyaki in the cold winter.


Everything was written in Japanese, I had a hard time figuring out what was what, and the shopkeeper was getting impatient so I simply pointed to one Taiyaki. Don't know what flavour Taiyaki I got, but I'm guessing it's maple from the colour. Yes, I have terrible tastebuds and can't even tell the difference between beef, pork and chicken.





Arashiyama Bamboo Groves was, in my humble opinion, rather underwhelming. I'm not sure if it's because of the rain, but Arashiyama Bamboo Groves was nowhere as magnificent as the photos I've seen on Instagram. I'm sorry Kyoto! I'm sure Kyoto has a lot more to offer, but I happened to be there on a bad day :(



Arashiyama Bamboo Groves

Address 
Ukyo Ward, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture, Japan

Nearest Subway Station
Saga Arashiyama Station, JR Sagano line OR
Arashiyama Station, Henkyu railway

Opening Hours
Opened 24/7

Admission Fee
Free




Made a wrong turn and wandered into Nonomiya-jinja Shrine, a shrine that's said to help single women find The One and pregnant women have an easy birth.


There's an abandance of heart shapes around Nonomiya-jinja Shrine so I'm guessing the shrine popular with women seeking love.




Kyoto was getting increasingly dark by then and the last tourists have already left so I pretty much got clear photos of Nonomiya-jinja Shrine without any strangers in my photos.


Nonomiya-jinja Shrine

Address 
Japan, 〒616-8315 Kyoto Prefecture, Kyoto, Ukyo Ward, 嵯峨野宮町1

Nearest Subway Station
Saga Arashiyama Station, JR Sagano line OR
Arashiyama Station, Henkyu railway

Opening Hours
9am to 5pm for the office booth

Admission Fee
Free



Most, if not all, shrines in Japan has a spot where you can draw omikuji (a written oracle that's supposed to tell your fortune). I previously drew a omikuji in Tsuyunoten Shrine (Ohatsu Tenjin Shrine), Osaka as well and decided to do it again.



The omikuji in Nonomiya-jinja Shrine works on a trust basis where you slot in your yen and draw an omikuji yourself without anyone keeping watch.





My omikuji was another good omikuji, but it was rather general and didn't leave a lasting impression as it didn't predict anything in particular.

-

Japan Solo Travel (January 2017)





Tokyo Summary and Getting Around Tokyo | Tokyo Imano Hostel Review | Tokyo Pokemon Centre & Shibuya Crossing Tokyo Lockers and Shinjuku Gyoen Garden | Tokyo Harajuku (Shopping, Food, Daiso) | Tokyo bills Omotesando (Tokyu Plaza)

Hakone One Day Itinerary | Hakone Tozan Railway and Cable Car | Seeing Mt Fuji at Owakudani | Hakone Ropeway and Sightseeing Cruise | Trekking to see Hakone Shrine and Mt Fuji

9 Hours Narita Capsule Hotel Review | Tokyo Narita Airport

You Might Also Like

0 comments