Hakonemachi-ko, Hakone Shrine and Mt Fuji Trek | Japan Solo Travel 2017

July 31, 2017


Alighted at Hakonemachi-ko, the first stop of Hakone Sightseeing Cruise. Apparently, Motohakone-ko is the stop that's nearer to Hakone Shrine but I somehow confused myself between the two since they sounded somewhat similar. I spontaneously decided  to trek from Hakonemachi-ko to Hakone Shrine anyway because I wanted to take photos of Mt Fuji with Hakone Shrine, a sight only available via trekking.

Anyway, I'm someone who prefers walking if I have the choice and I found myself walking around Japan a lot to admire its scenery and bask in Japan's winter climate, which I'll never get to experience in Singapore.

The corns smelled so good and fresh, especially in winter!

Hakone Sightseeing Cruise (Hakonemachi-ko Port)

Address
161 Hakone, Hakone-machi, Ashigarashimo-gun 250-0521

Phone Number
+61 0460-83-7550




Can only imagie how beautiful these bare trees are during Hakone's cherry blossom season



Hello Kitty shot glasses?! Japan knows its way to my heart.




My camera's focus stopped working, possibly due to the sudden dip in temperature in Hakone, or the fact that I got it secondhand off Carousell (life's biggest regret!). I thought I didn't get a photo of this road despite running onto the road several times and getting scolded in Japanese; thank god I found one clear photo when I ran through my photos after returning to my hostel in Tokyo.

Albeit embellished by Mother Nature with light leaks and bokeh, this was just a normal road used by everyday Japanese. Still, it was mersmerising to me for some reason. This photo remains one of my favourite photos from my Japan travel.


As with every time I travel, I didn't know where exactly was I headed as I blindly followed the instructions on Google Maps. I walked into this quaint little stretch of shops selling authentic Japanese handicrafts.





I see you, Mt Fuji.




More sightings of Mt Fuji on my way to Hakone Shrine


I have to emphasise that I was extremely lucky that Mt Fuji was in full visibility for the entire day I was in Hakone. Clouds are known to block Mt Fuji from view, which is why travel guides will usually recommend travellers yearning to catch sight of Mt Fuji to visit the Fuji Five Lakes instead. Otherwise, you can try your luck with Hakone, especially in the colder season.


I was beyond relief to find a sign, with English translation no less, with the words 'Hakone Shrine' plastered across because I haven't seen another human at this point, and my phone's GPS was slowing down because I was nearing the hiking trails, in a forested area. It was worrying, not just because I don't have a hard copy of a map and I can't read/speak Japanese, but also because I noticed that the sun has began setting.

The skies got dark real fast — it slipped my mind that the sun sets at around 4pm in winter, damn sunsets in winter — and I started feeling a little afraid because I haven't seen anyone around throughout my trek and I couldn't board the buses either since my Hakone Free Pass doesn't cover the normal buses in Hakone. Damn my cheapskate self, trying to budget for my trip even in times of emergencies.





By then, my GPS completely stopped working. It pointed me to a different direction each time I rebooted Google Maps and I was no longer sure of myself. Along the way, I met a maximum of two people, one security guard and an elderly enjoying his peace — both of whom pointed me to different directions when I mentioned that I'm looking for Hakone Shrine.

I met a jogger, who, fortunately, spoke basic English, and he advised me to take a bus. He mentioned that he jogged from Hakone Shrine and it took him more than 30 minutes to get to where I was. However, I didn't catch sight of any buses while trekking and I had no idea which bus led to where. In the end, I decided to bite the bullet, and continue walking from the opposite direction I came from.


To give you an idea of how abandoned the route I took was

I saw it! Hakone Shrine, after 40 minutes of trekking.

Eventually, I walked into a carpark and found sight of Hakone Shrine! I heaved a sigh of relief — even though I was still miles away, at least I knew I was on the right track and could follow the roads properly.



Eyebags from my lack of sleep but hey, I travelled to Japan and that's all that matters.



Walking further down, I spotted some English speaking tourists and I got them to take a photo for me since my camera stopped working but... Photos never turn out well when they're taken by strangers.



I swtiched on my camera again to try my luck and it works! I waited till the tourists left to prop my camera on a platform and take the photos myself. :X Thank you, Hakone, for teaching me patience and courage, for proving to me that unplanned adventures are sometimes the best ones. I never got to visit Hakone Shrine because I ran out of time, but if it weren't for me getting lost, I wouldn't discover have this spot.



The famed postcard-worthy view of Hakone Shrine with its torii gates octed in Lake Ashinoko, coupled with Mt Fuji as a backdrop. It makes me want to cry even looking at theese photos again because this scene mean so, so much to me. Hakone holds a special place in my heart because it was the first place I admitted that I'm in love. I remember awing at Mt Fuji, and wishing that he was there with me to witness that magnificent sight.

Since I started travelling a year ago, I never felt this way about anyone else. Although it didn't quite work out the way I envisioned it to six months later, I was content with knowing that I actually possess the courage to love again. Hakone was the coldest city I travelled to, but it filled me up with warmth. That's love for you.





It's crazy how Japan can be so beautiful :') 



I watched the sun set while continuously snapping photos, accompanied by a student who was enjoying her dinner by the lakeside.





Thankful for my Japan SIM card, which still worked in the outskirts of Tokyo, on top of mountains and in the forest! I got my unlimited data Japan SIM card here, in case you're interested.







Hakone at sunset



If you're interested in shooting the Mt Fuji and Hakone Shrine scenery, I shot my photos opposite a bus interchange, in the vincity of Hakone Sightseeing Cruise (Motohakone-ko Port).

Hakone Sightseeing Cruise (Motohakone-ko Port)

Address
6–40 Moto-Hakone, Hakone-machi, Ashigarashimo-gun 250-0522


Had to give Hakone Shrine and Gotemba Premium Outlets a miss eventually because the bus conductor told me the last bus operates at 4pm. Although according to my research, there should have been buses till 8pm but I didn't want to risk getting stuck in Hakone with no place to spend my night, so I decided to head back to Tokyo.

If you are a shopaholic or want the experience of shopping in full view of Mt Fuji, I would suggest following a Gotemba Premium Outlets tour to make sure you get to the places you wanna on time. This is especially important in winter when the sun sets early.

I took the bus, included in my Hakone Free Pass, all the way back to Hakone-Yumoto, where I stocked up on souvenirs for my family before taking the Tokyo Metro back to Tokyo City. Thank goodness I had a seat or else my legs might have broken on the journey back. Despite leaving Hakone at 4pm, I only reached Tokyo and settled into my hostel in Shinjuku at about 10pm.



Hakone is filled with scenic places, which I regrettably didn't have the chance to explore due to limited time. There and then, I promised myself that I will be back one day. To Japan, to Hakone, to the every place I ever promised myself I'd travel to as a kid.

-

Japan Solo Travel (January 2017)






Tokyo Summary and Getting Around Tokyo | Tokyo Imano Hostel Review | Tokyo Pokemon Centre & Shibuya Crossing | Tokyo Lockers and Shinjuku Gyoen Garden | Tokyo Harajuku (Shopping, Food, Daiso) | Tokyo bills Omotesando (Tokyu Plaza)

Hakone One Day Itinerary | Hakone Tozan Railway and Cable Car | Seeing Mt Fuji at Owakudani | Hakone Ropeway and Sightseeing Cruise | Trekking to see Hakone Shrine and Mt Fuji

9 Hours Narita Capsule Hotel Review | Tokyo Narita Airport

You Might Also Like

0 comments