Citygate Outlets and Kam Wah Cafe (Hong Kong Day 1.1)

January 12, 2018


I hung around Hong Kong International Airport waiting for Chelsea to land while leeching on the airport wifi. Once she arrived, we got our Octopus Cards and began our journey!


First stop: Citygate Outlets, the biggest outlet mall in Hong Kong. Like I mentioned in my Gold Coast outlet shopping post, I enjoy travelling to each city's outlet malls so heading to Citygate Outlets made sense since 1) it's near to the airport and 2) it wasn't time for us to check in to our hotel yet.

We were a little disheartened that we didn't buy anything because, unlike in Gold Coast, there wasn't exactly any crazy good deals screaming at us in Citygate Outlets.

Citygate Outlets

Address: 20 Tat Tung Rd, Lantau Island, Hong Kong
Nearest MTR: Tung Chung Station Exit C 
Opening Hours: 10am to 10pm daily



We left Citygate Outlets after an hour or two and, typical of Chelsea and me, we stopped somewhere along Tung Chung Station to take photos with our luggage. Forgive us, we were fresh grads who were stepping out of Singapore for the first time in forever!



The kind of stupid things that will happen only to me, TWICE.


Checked in at our hotel, Le Prabelle, at Prince Edward Station. (Review of my stay at Le Prabelle here.)

True to my messy self, I managed to create a chaos in a matter of minutes.



We quickly freshened up and rushed out for lunch. It was about 4pm by then and we were famished.


Funny story: I only learned to read Chinese when I started working in mid-2016 so I went to Hong Kong in March 2016, I could hardly read anything. That, plus the fact that I understood absolutely no Cantonese made it extremely difficult for me to get around.

Chelsea and I wanted to get to Kam Wah Cafe (金華冰廳) but I led her to 金湖水族 (a goldfish shop) and insisted that’s the place we were supposed to eat at HAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHA. I could only recognise 冰, but now I realised 冰 and 水 aren’t even the same words HAHAHAHAHHAHA. I was so stupid. Kids, this is why Chinese is important.

Okay, this is how you recognise Kam Wah Cafe (金華冰廳): by their blue signboard.



Rumours have it that Kam Wah Cafe serves the best polo bun (Pineapple Bun/菠蘿包) in the whole of Hong Kong. Chelsea and I shared a condense milk sandwich (HKD 18 or SGD $3.20) and a serving of chicken polo bun (HKD 12 or $2.15), as recommended by the staff. By the way, if you're travelling to Hong Kong and can't read Chinese, just ask for an English menu. Most eateries should serve them.

The polo bun was soooo good! Although we both agreed that the original version with butter would taste way nicer. In fact, we subsequently tried returning to Kam Wah Cafe for their original polo bun but it was always sold out T3T

Kam Wah Cafe & Bakery (金華冰廳)

Address: 47 Bute St, Prince Edward, Hong Kong
Nearest MTR: Prince Edward B2 or Mong Kok B3

Opening Hours: 6:30am to 11pm daily

You Might Also Like

0 comments